Search This Blog

Thursday 6 September 2018

CHRISTIANITY IN BRITAIN TODAY


CHRISTIANITY IN BRITAIN TODAY

I have considered myself a Christian Member of the Church of England for most of my life. I was Baptised, Confirmed in Brecon Cathedral, was a Choir Boy.
I have found Christians to be friendly, kind, helpful and inspirational people. I like their attitude towards other people who are non Christian.
I liked very much their positive attitude to Life.

One of the cornerstones of the Christian faith has been -
Jesus was the son of God. The Creed was uttered in most services -
Jesus was crucified, dead and buried. He was raised from the Dead, descended into Heaven. He returned to Earth for a short spell. He has dinner with his main followers. They saw his wound in his side where a Roman soldier has pieced him with a spear.
Yes, Jesus was back but not for long.
In the Bible there were many Witnesses to the return of Jesus.

Recently, I have asked some sensible questions...

Why is there no explanation from Jesus of how he was raised to Heaven?
How did he get back ?
What was God like ?
Why did he have to return to Heaven ?
What was Heaven like ?
What were Angels like ?
Did God explain to him how he created the Universe ?

These are basic questions I would have asked Jesus if I was at that dinner on his return to Earth.
The Bible says...In my Father’s House there are many mansions. So, what does this mean ? Did Jesus see any of these Mansions ? Did Jesus see anyone living there ?
What has happened to the Millions who have died before him ?
Did God speak to him during his stay in Heaven ? If so, what did he talk about ?
Did he asked God why he had to be crucified and made a martyr and suffered such pain ?
Couldn’t God find a better way to save the Earthlings ?
What do the Dead do all day ?

I feel that none of these basic questions were asked.
Jesus was the only man in history to come back to Earth after death. Surely, we Christians needed more information from Jesus ?

I am sure that the followers of Jesus would have kept a close watch on him when he was back on Earth. How did Jesus manage to just disappear back to Heaven ?

There are two further questions that bothers me very much.....

1-  The fact that God wanted his only son Jesus to die a horrific death on the Cross. What a terrible thing to wish for. Just to wash away our sins ? Could not God find a better way ?
This is a typical Martyrs Syndrome. In the Iraq / Iran Wars, thousands of young Iranians wanted to die on the battlefield as Martyrs because they were brainwashed into thinking that Death on the battlefield would guaranty them a place in Paradise with 72 Virgins each !!  So much for Martyrs and Realism. Mathematically, 72 Virgins per Martyr was an unlikely outcome.

2 - Jesus was stupid to call himself The King of the Jews during a Roman occupation that feared a Jewish uprising. He was just begging to be sentenced to death. Surely, he could have spent many more years on Earth and did a lot more good ? If he could perform miracles for the few, why could he not perform many more miracles than he did.

We now know in the 21st Century how the Universe was created. A massive Big Bang of gases.
We know there are Billions of Galaxies and Billions of stars and planets in the Universe that we know. There may be more separate Universes. Whow ! Do you really think God did this ?

I am sorry that I find the whole story unrealistic. The Followers of Jesus must have been dumb not to have probed deeper into what happened to Jesus and how did it happen.
We Christians are just left in the air.
Now, I find this very hard to believe.

If God was so powerful and Jesus had the ability to escape death, why has he not returned to Earth, many years ago ? If God was the God of love, surely he could have influenced the Leaders of the World to resist Wars.
Why has Jesus allowed so many people to die defending Christianity ?
Perhaps those who have died horrible deaths over the centuries would have preferred not to have “ Free Will” but to live longer in Peace. One could say, that Jesus and God have let down Millions of decent people.
What a pity that Jesus had not returned to Earth a second and third time to confirm that all the stories in the Bible are authentic. His return would have settled many scores and confusion today between different Beliefs.
We the people have been left with many unanswered questions.

I do not doubt that Jesus was a very good man and sincere in his beliefs.  However, there are too many questions and answers to come to the conclusion that he was made in the image of his Father God.

“ Have Faith you will hear. “ You could apply this philosophy to many things. It is a step into obscurity. It is a phrase that is a " Catch all " conviction that God exists and what happened to Jesus is true.  " Follow me said many Dictators over History. I am the way. Have faith in me ." Millions died having faith in Dictators... Hitler for example.

In spite of my reservations about the Jesus story, I think that The Church today in its many forms plays an important role in Society. For example, my local church, Holy Trinity holds coffee mornings weekly, engages with the Bereaved, organises concerts, sponsors Christmas lunches , helps the sick and acts as a Beacon of Hope for many people. Long may it flourish. The Church is a driving force for Goodness in the Community. It provides Hope. It encourages kindness amongst citizens of all races.  I like the atmosphere within the Church fraternity. However, I have a BUT.......

So, am I a Christian today ? I would like to be. But, I think that I have too many doubts.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

No comments:

Post a Comment